How does acetaminophen-codeine treat pain?

Acetaminophen-codeine is a combination of two drugs, acetaminophen and codeine. Acetaminophen affects the central nervous system and increases the threshold of pain via a mechanism that is still not completely understood. Codeine is an opioid drug that affects opioid nervous system receptors. Codeine partially coverts to morphine in the body, and this action is what provides much of codeine's pain-relieving properties. The two drugs together provide a greater effect than either dose alone.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...