How does acetaminophen-codeine treat pain?

Acetaminophen-codeine is a combination of two drugs, acetaminophen and codeine. Acetaminophen affects the central nervous system and increases the threshold of pain via a mechanism that is still not completely understood. Codeine is an opioid drug that affects opioid nervous system receptors. Codeine partially coverts to morphine in the body, and this action is what provides much of codeine's pain-relieving properties. The two drugs together provide a greater effect than either dose alone.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...