How does acetaminophen-codeine treat coughs?

Acetaminophen-codeine is effective for treating some types of coughs. The codeine in the medicine acts on the brain's cough center primarily through action on mu-type opioid nervous system receptors. This action results in the inhibition of brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) that produce the cough response.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...