How does acetaminophen-codeine treat coughs?

Acetaminophen-codeine is effective for treating some types of coughs. The codeine in the medicine acts on the brain's cough center primarily through action on mu-type opioid nervous system receptors. This action results in the inhibition of brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) that produce the cough response.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...