Does capsaicin have side effects?

Capsaicin (Capzasin-P, Zostrix, Icy Hot PM) is generally safe when used as directed, but some people may have side effects from it. Some burning and itching on the skin above the painful joint is normal when you first start to use it. If the burning sensation is too uncomfortable--like if you think you put adobo sauce on by mistake -- just wash it off with soap and warm water. It causes real problems if it gets into your eyes or in cuts. Use gloves when applying.

Allergic reactions are also possible, as with any cream or medication. The allergic reactions typically cause severe burning or blistering of the skin. If this happens to you, wash the area with warm water and soap and immediately call your doctor.

In rare cases, severe allergic reactions can cause skin rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing or swallowing, tightness in the chest, or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...