How does Demerol interact with other medications or food?

Demerol should not be used with monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors because the results can be fatal. These include furazolidone, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline and tranylcypromine. Using Demerol with agonist/antagonist analgesics may minimize its effect and produce symptoms of withdrawal. Other drugs that Demerol is known to interact with include: acyclovir, which can increase plasma concentrations of meperidine and normeperidine; cimetidine, which can lower your tolerance for Demerol and increase production of the metabolite, normeperidine; phenytoin, which can increase hepatic metabolism of Demerol; ritonavir, which may increase plasma concentrations of normeperidine. Demerol has also been known to increase the neuromuscular blocking action of skeletal muscle relaxants, which may result in respiratory depression. If you are taking Demerol you should not consume any alcohol. Doing so can be extremely dangerous and in some cases even fatal.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...