Do I need to worry about dehydration after drinking alcohol?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. It makes you urinate more and thus has dehydrating effects. It does this by indirectly decreasing the production of the antidiuretic hormone (ADH), which is the hormone that allows water to be reabsorbed in the kidneys. Signs you may be dehydrated are dark urine, dry skin, dizziness, or constipation.

Compensate for the dehydrating effects of alcohol by always alternating a glass of water with each alcoholic beverage. Eat fruits and vegetables that are rich in water, such as watermelon, papaya, cucumber, and celery. Not only are they rich in water, but they also contain sodium and potassium, which are all needed to prevent dehydration.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...