Do I need to worry about dehydration after drinking alcohol?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. It makes you urinate more and thus has dehydrating effects. It does this by indirectly decreasing the production of the antidiuretic hormone (ADH), which is the hormone that allows water to be reabsorbed in the kidneys. Signs you may be dehydrated are dark urine, dry skin, dizziness, or constipation.

Compensate for the dehydrating effects of alcohol by always alternating a glass of water with each alcoholic beverage. Eat fruits and vegetables that are rich in water, such as watermelon, papaya, cucumber, and celery. Not only are they rich in water, but they also contain sodium and potassium, which are all needed to prevent dehydration.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Analgesics, including aspirin and acetaminophen, are medications used to treat pain. They can al...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...