Can I use Zydone if I am taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor?

If you are taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor -- a kind of antidepressant -- talk to your doctor before taking the prescription pain medication Zydone (hydrocodone and acetaminophen). MAO inhibitors and another category of antidepressant medications, tricyclic antidepressants, can interact with Zydone, possibly increasing the effects of the pain drug or of the antidepressants. Before you start taking Zydone, you should give your doctor and pharmacist a list of your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements. If your doctor does prescribe Zydone, do not take any new medication or supplement without talking to your doctor or pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...