Can I use Zydone if I have a history of liver disease?

If you have a history of liver disease, talk to your doctor before taking Zydone (hydrocodone and acetaminophen), a drug prescribed to relieve pain. You may be at increased risk for liver damage from this medication.

If you do take Zydone, your doctor may want to monitor you especially closely with tests of your liver function. Do not drink alcohol; the combination may increase your risk of liver damage and other problems.

You should also be sure not to take any other drugs that contain acetaminophen -- high levels of that compound raise your risk for liver damage. Acetaminophen can be found in many nonprescription drugs, including cold remedies, products that relieve menstrual symptoms, headache medicines and anti-flu products. Read labels carefully or talk to your pharmacist if you are not sure if a product contains acetaminophen.

Give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements before you take Zydone. Once you're on Zydone, do not take any new additional drug without checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...