Can I use Xodol if I am taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor?

If you are taking a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor, talk to your doctor before taking the prescription pain medication Xodol (hydrocodone and acetaminophen). Antidepressants in the MAO inhibitor category, along with another type of antidepressant medications called tricyclic antidepressants, can interact with Xodol. That can make the pain drug more potent or increase the effects of the antidepressant.

Before you start Xodol, give your doctor and pharmacist a list of all your other medicines (prescription and nonprescription) and dietary and herbal supplements. Once you're on Xodol, do not take any other medicine, including any type of antidepressant, without checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...