Can I use Tylox if I am taking tranylcypromine?

You should not take Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) if you also take tranylcypromine (Parnate) or if you've taken it within the past two weeks. Tranylcypromine is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) that's used to treat depression; Tylox is a pain relief medication that's taken on an as-needed basis to relieve moderate to moderately severe pain. Because of the oxycodone in Tylox, which is an opioid (narcotic), taken together, Tylox and an MAOI can interact to cause slow or shallow breathing, low blood pressure, seizures and even coma, among other serious side effects, as well as put you at risk for serotonin syndrome, a life-threatening condition that can result when there's too much of the brain chemical serotonin in the body.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...