Can I use Tylox if I am taking selegiline?

You should not take Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) if you also take selegiline (Atapryl, Eldepryl and others) or if you've taken it within the past two weeks. Selegiline is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) that's used to treat Parkinson's disease; Tylox is a pain relief medication that's taken on an as-needed basis to relieve moderate to moderately severe pain. Because of the oxycodone in Tylox, which is an opioid (narcotic), taken together, Tylox and an MAOI can interact to cause slow or shallow breathing, low blood pressure, seizures and even coma, among other serious side effects, as well as put you at risk for serotonin syndrome, a life-threatening condition that can result when there's too much of the brain chemical serotonin in the body.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...