Can I use Tylox if I am taking isocarboxazid?

You should not take Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) if you also take isocarboxazid (Marplan) or if you've taken it within the past two weeks. Isocarboxazid is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) that's used primarily to treat depression; Tylox is a pain relief medication that's taken on an as-needed basis to relieve moderate to moderately severe pain. Because of the oxycodone in Tylox, which is an opioid (narcotic), taken together, Tylox and an MAOI can interact to cause slow or shallow breathing, low blood pressure, seizures and even coma, among other serious side effects, as well as put you at risk for serotonin syndrome, a life-threatening condition that can result when there's too much of the brain chemical serotonin in the body.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Analgesics, including aspirin and acetaminophen, are medications used to treat pain. They can al...
What is a narcotic?
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...