Can I use Tylox if I am taking isocarboxazid?

You should not take Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) if you also take isocarboxazid (Marplan) or if you've taken it within the past two weeks. Isocarboxazid is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) that's used primarily to treat depression; Tylox is a pain relief medication that's taken on an as-needed basis to relieve moderate to moderately severe pain. Because of the oxycodone in Tylox, which is an opioid (narcotic), taken together, Tylox and an MAOI can interact to cause slow or shallow breathing, low blood pressure, seizures and even coma, among other serious side effects, as well as put you at risk for serotonin syndrome, a life-threatening condition that can result when there's too much of the brain chemical serotonin in the body.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...