Can I use Tylox if I have a history of alcoholism?

If you have a history of alcoholism, your doctor will be cautious about prescribing Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) for you. Because of the acetaminophen in Tylox, this drug can be toxic to the liver if taken along with alcohol. People who have more than three drinks a day should not take acetaminophen in any form.

The other active ingredient in Tylox, oxycodone, is an opioid (narcotic) that can be addictive and easily abused. Alcoholics or people with a history of alcoholism are at an increased risk of becoming addicted to Tylox or abusing it. Tylox is prescribed to treat moderate to moderately severe pain on an as-needed basis.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...