Can I use Tylox if I have a history of alcoholism?

If you have a history of alcoholism, your doctor will be cautious about prescribing Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) for you. Because of the acetaminophen in Tylox, this drug can be toxic to the liver if taken along with alcohol. People who have more than three drinks a day should not take acetaminophen in any form.

The other active ingredient in Tylox, oxycodone, is an opioid (narcotic) that can be addictive and easily abused. Alcoholics or people with a history of alcoholism are at an increased risk of becoming addicted to Tylox or abusing it. Tylox is prescribed to treat moderate to moderately severe pain on an as-needed basis.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...