Can I use Percodan if I'm taking naloxone?

If you are taking naloxone, your doctor is unlikely to also prescribe Percodan. Naloxone is used for a few different purposes: It is given in cases of opioid overdose or combined in tablets with other drugs to treat pain or to help people overcome a drug addiction. Percodan is a prescription pain medication that combines oxycodone (an opioid drug) and aspirin. In tablet form, naloxone is either combined with pentazocine for pain relief, which could cause an overdose if combined with Percodan, or buprenorphine, which can interfere with the effect of oxycodone.

Because these combinations are either risky or potentially ineffective, your doctor is unlikely to prescribe them.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...