Can I use Magnacet if I am taking selegiline?

Experts recommend against using the prescription pain medication Magnacet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) if you take selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar) or have taken it in the past 14 days. Selegiline, a drug that helps control symptoms of Parkinson's disease, belongs to a group of drugs called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), which can increase the potency of narcotic pain medications like Magnacet. The result can be overdose symptoms, including serious breathing problems, low blood pressure, seizures, coma and death. Before starting Magnacet, let your doctor know if you use selegiline, or if you've used it in the past.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...