Can I use Magnacet if I am taking selegiline?

Experts recommend against using the prescription pain medication Magnacet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) if you take selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar) or have taken it in the past 14 days. Selegiline, a drug that helps control symptoms of Parkinson's disease, belongs to a group of drugs called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), which can increase the potency of narcotic pain medications like Magnacet. The result can be overdose symptoms, including serious breathing problems, low blood pressure, seizures, coma and death. Before starting Magnacet, let your doctor know if you use selegiline, or if you've used it in the past.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...