Can I use Magnacet if I am taking phenelzine?

The prescription pain medication Magnacet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) is not recommended for people who take phenelzine (Nardil) or have used it in the past 14 days. Phenelzine, an antidepressant, belongs to a group of drugs called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) that can increase the potency of narcotic pain medications like Magnacet. The result can be overdose symptoms, including serious breathing problems, low blood pressure, seizures, coma and death. Before starting Magnacet, let your doctor know if you use or have used phenelzine.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...