Can I use Demerol if I am taking tranquilizers?

Taking Demerol (meperidine) with tranquilizers can increase the likelihood of certain side effects such as shallow breathing, low blood pressure and sleepiness that could lead to unconsciousness. Demerol is a narcotic medication that's used to treat moderate to severe pain for a limited period of time.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...