Can I use Demerol if I am taking SSRIs?

Taken together, an SSRI (serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and the pain medication Demerol (meperidine) can put you at risk for serotonin syndrome, a rare group of symptoms that can be serious enough to lead to organ failure and even death. SSRIs are typically used to treat depression, and include drugs such as Prozac (fluoxetine), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Paxil (paroxetine) and Lexapro (escitalopram). If you're taking one of these, or any other SSRI, and your doctor wants to prescribe Demerol for you, he or she will likely adjust your dose or how often you take the drug accordingly.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...