Can I use Demerol if I am taking SSRIs?

Taken together, an SSRI (serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and the pain medication Demerol (meperidine) can put you at risk for serotonin syndrome, a rare group of symptoms that can be serious enough to lead to organ failure and even death. SSRIs are typically used to treat depression, and include drugs such as Prozac (fluoxetine), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Paxil (paroxetine) and Lexapro (escitalopram). If you're taking one of these, or any other SSRI, and your doctor wants to prescribe Demerol for you, he or she will likely adjust your dose or how often you take the drug accordingly.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...