Can I use Demerol if I am taking SSRIs?

Taken together, an SSRI (serotonin reuptake inhibitor) and the pain medication Demerol (meperidine) can put you at risk for serotonin syndrome, a rare group of symptoms that can be serious enough to lead to organ failure and even death. SSRIs are typically used to treat depression, and include drugs such as Prozac (fluoxetine), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Paxil (paroxetine) and Lexapro (escitalopram). If you're taking one of these, or any other SSRI, and your doctor wants to prescribe Demerol for you, he or she will likely adjust your dose or how often you take the drug accordingly.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...