Can I use Demerol if I am taking acyclovir?

Talk to your doctor before taking Demerol (meperidine) with the antiviral drug acyclovir. Doing so may increase the level of meperidine, the active ingredient in Demerol (a prescription pain drug), or its by-product, normeperidine, in your body. This can increase the risk of side effects. Your doctor may need to adjust your dose of Demerol.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...