Can I use Demerol if I have a history of stomach problems?

If you have a history of stomach problems, talk to your doctor before taking Demerol (meperidine). This prescription pain medication may interfere with the diagnosis or treatment of acute abdominal conditions.

If you take cimetidine (Tagamet) to control stomach acid, it's important to know that it can cause Demerol to build up in your body and lead to serious side effects. In addition, certain antinausea medications can depress the central nervous system, which is also a side effect of Demerol. Tell your doctor about all drugs (prescription and over-the-counter) and all supplements you take so that he or she can check for possible interactions with Demerol.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...