Can I use Demerol if I am taking medications for seizures?

Talk to your doctor before taking the prescription pain medication Demerol (meperidine) with the antiseizure drug phenytoin. This medication may decrease the level of meperidine, the active ingredient in Demerol, in your body but increase the level of its byproduct, normeperidine. This can put your at risk for confusion, excitability, seizures and other complications.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...