Can I use Demerol if I am taking medications for HIV?

If you're being treated with the HIV medication ritonavir, you should not take Demerol (meperidine). Ritonavir can increase the level of meperidine, the active ingredient in Demerol, or its breakdown product, normeperidine, in your body. This could put you at risk for serious side effects. Demerol is a narcotic medication that's used to treat moderate to severe short-term pain.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...