Can I use Demerol if I am taking medications for HIV?

If you're being treated with the HIV medication ritonavir, you should not take Demerol (meperidine). Ritonavir can increase the level of meperidine, the active ingredient in Demerol, or its breakdown product, normeperidine, in your body. This could put you at risk for serious side effects. Demerol is a narcotic medication that's used to treat moderate to severe short-term pain.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics, including aspirin and acetaminophen, are medications used to treat pain. They can al...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...