Can I use Demerol if I am taking medications for HIV?

If you're being treated with the HIV medication ritonavir, you should not take Demerol (meperidine). Ritonavir can increase the level of meperidine, the active ingredient in Demerol, or its breakdown product, normeperidine, in your body. This could put you at risk for serious side effects. Demerol is a narcotic medication that's used to treat moderate to severe short-term pain.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

how do analgesics interact with other medications ?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
what are the side effects of analgesics ?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...
who should not take analgesics ?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
how can analgesics relieve flu symptoms ?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...