Can I use Demerol if I have a history of lung disease?

If you have a history of lung disease, talk to your doctor before taking Demerol (meperidine), a prescription drug for moderate to severe short-term pain. Demerol can make breathing problems worse for people who have conditions such as asthma, sleep apnea or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Even normal doses of Demerol can slow or stop breathing in someone whose lungs are already compromised. Your doctor is likely to be very cautious when prescribing Demerol for you.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...