Can I use Demerol if I have a history of lung disease?

If you have a history of lung disease, talk to your doctor before taking Demerol (meperidine), a prescription drug for moderate to severe short-term pain. Demerol can make breathing problems worse for people who have conditions such as asthma, sleep apnea or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Even normal doses of Demerol can slow or stop breathing in someone whose lungs are already compromised. Your doctor is likely to be very cautious when prescribing Demerol for you.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...