Can I use Demerol if I have a history of seizures?

If you have a history of seizures, talk to your doctor before taking Demerol (meperidine). This drug, which is used to treat moderate to severe pain on a short-term basis, can increase the risk of seizures. This side effect can also occur in people who have had head injuries, pressure inside the head or brain, and brain tumors. Make sure your doctor knows about your history of seizures and head or brain problems; it's likely that he or she will want to prescribe a different type of pain relief medication for you, unless it's absolutely essential that you take Demerol.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...