Can I use Demerol if I have a history of seizures?

If you have a history of seizures, talk to your doctor before taking Demerol (meperidine). This drug, which is used to treat moderate to severe pain on a short-term basis, can increase the risk of seizures. This side effect can also occur in people who have had head injuries, pressure inside the head or brain, and brain tumors. Make sure your doctor knows about your history of seizures and head or brain problems; it's likely that he or she will want to prescribe a different type of pain relief medication for you, unless it's absolutely essential that you take Demerol.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...