Can I use Tylox if I have a history of urinary problems?

If you have a history of urinary problems, such as a narrowing of your urethra (the tube that urine passes through), low urinary output (oliguria) or an enlarged prostate, your doctor may be cautious about prescribing Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) for you. The oxycodone in this drug, which is used to treat moderate to moderately severe pain on an as-needed basis, is an opioid (narcotic) that may cause you to retain urine. Coupled with your other urinary problems, this could lead to infection, bladder damage or kidney damage.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...