Can I use Tylox if I have a history of thyroid problems?

If you have a history of hypothyroidism, a condition in which the thyroid gland produces less hormone than normal, your doctor may be cautious about prescribing Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) for you. This drug, which is prescribed to treat moderate to moderately severe pain on an as-needed basis, contains oxycodone, which is an opioid, or narcotic. Taking opioids if you have hypothyroidism may cause myxedema coma, a medical emergency that causes severe hypothyroidism and could lead to death.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...