Can I use Tylox if I have a history of liver disease?

If you have a history of liver disease, your doctor likely will be cautious about prescribing Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) for you. In large quantities, one of the active ingredients in Tylox, acetaminophen, can be toxic to the liver, even in people with normal liver function. In addition, an impaired liver may slow the rate at which the drug is excreted from the body, which could lead to serious side effects from the other active ingredient in Tylox, oxycodone, which is an opioid (narcotic).

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...