Can I use Tylox if I have a history of kidney disease?

If you have a history of kidney disease, your doctor likely will be cautious about prescribing Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) for you. Too much acetaminophen, one of the active ingredients in Tylox, can result in renal tubular necrosis, a disorder that can lead to kidney failure even in people with healthy kidneys. In addition, if your kidneys aren't functioning well, you may not excrete the drug from your body as quickly as you should, which could lead to side effects from the other active ingredient in Tylox, the narcotic oxycodone. Tylox is used to treat moderate to moderately severe pain on an as-needed basis.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...