Can I use Tylox if I have a history of kidney disease?

If you have a history of kidney disease, your doctor likely will be cautious about prescribing Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone) for you. Too much acetaminophen, one of the active ingredients in Tylox, can result in renal tubular necrosis, a disorder that can lead to kidney failure even in people with healthy kidneys. In addition, if your kidneys aren't functioning well, you may not excrete the drug from your body as quickly as you should, which could lead to side effects from the other active ingredient in Tylox, the narcotic oxycodone. Tylox is used to treat moderate to moderately severe pain on an as-needed basis.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...