Can Tylenol with Codeine interact with other medications or foods?

Tylenol with Codeine (acetaminophen and codeine) is not known to interact with food, but it may interact with other medications. Before taking this prescription pain reliever for treating mild to moderate pain, tell your doctor and pharmacist about all your other medications (prescription and over-the-counter) and supplements you take. It's especially important to let your doctor know if you take any of the following, which are more likely to interact with Tylenol with Codeine:
  • any product containing acetaminophen
  • an antidepressant
  • any medication for cough, cold or allergies
  • another pain reliever
  • a sedative, sleeping pill or tranquilizer
  • vitamins
Drinking alcohol while taking Tylenol with Codeine is dangerous. Because it increases the risks of serious side effects including extreme drowsiness, breathing problems and liver damage, you should avoid it.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...