Can I use Tylenol with Codeine if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, you should be cautious about taking the prescription pain medication Tylenol with Codeine (acetaminophen and codeine). Codeine and acetaminophen both pass into breast milk. Generally, only small amounts of these drugs make it into the milk. However, some women do an especially fast job of converting codeine into morphine (the substance that actually relieves pain), which can pass into breast milk in higher-than-expected amounts—possibly enough to be dangerous to a nursing baby.

Talk to your doctor to weigh the risks and benefits of taking this medication while breastfeeding. If you do take Tylenol with Codeine, ask your doctor about warning signs that could indicate your baby is getting an overdose.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What should I avoid while taking analgesics?
Until you know how you will react to analgesics, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery...
What analgesic drugs may be prescribed for irritable bowel (IBS) symptoms?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Analgesic drugs that are used in treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can be classified as non-na...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...