Can I use Tylenol with Codeine if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, you should be cautious about taking the prescription pain medication Tylenol with Codeine (acetaminophen and codeine). Codeine and acetaminophen both pass into breast milk. Generally, only small amounts of these drugs make it into the milk. However, some women do an especially fast job of converting codeine into morphine (the substance that actually relieves pain), which can pass into breast milk in higher-than-expected amounts—possibly enough to be dangerous to a nursing baby.

Talk to your doctor to weigh the risks and benefits of taking this medication while breastfeeding. If you do take Tylenol with Codeine, ask your doctor about warning signs that could indicate your baby is getting an overdose.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...