Can I take Percocet if I have a history of alcoholism?

You may be able to take the pain medication Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) if you have a history of alcoholism, but you need to be aware of a number of potential problems. First of all, Percocet can be habit forming, and people with a history of alcoholism may be more susceptible to abusing it. In addition, alcoholics who have taken even therapeutic doses of Percocet have suffered from liver damage and liver failure. Finally, alcohol can make Percocet more potent and lead to severe side effects and even death. If you're an alcoholic or even a recovered alcoholic, speak up about your past and present drinking if your doctor wants to prescribe Percocet for you, to make sure that you can safely take it and at what dose.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
How does patient controlled analgesia work?
Patient controlled analgesia (PCA) allows a patient to control their own intake of painkillers in th...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...