Can I take Percocet if I have COPD?

You should not take Percocet (oxycodone and acetaminophen) if you have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis. The oxycodone in Percocet is an opioid (narcotic) that can slow breathing and can severely interfere with your ability to breathe if you have COPD. Percocet is prescribed to treat moderate to moderately severe pain.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...