Can seniors take Ultracet?

Seniors can take the prescription pain medication Ultracet (tramadol and acetaminophen), but their doctor is likely to prescribe it with caution, starting at the lowest possible dose. That's because older adults are more likely to have liver, kidney or heart problems, which raise the risk of side effects from this drug. Older men and women are also more likely to take multiple medications, which make drug interactions more likely. Before you start taking Ultracet, you should tell your doctor about all your medications (prescription and over-the-counter) as well as any supplements you take. You should also give him or her a complete medical history.

If you are over age 75, you should not take daily doses of tramadol in excess of 300 milligrams (mg). Each Ultracet pill contains 37.5 mg tramadol and 325 mg acetaminophen. For the short-term management of acute pain, a typical dosage schedule is two tablets every four to six hours as needed for pain, with a maximum of eight tablets per day. However, your doctor may direct you to take less.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...
How can analgesics relieve cold symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or flu...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
How do analgesics relieve foot pain?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...