Can I use Percodan if I have a history of alcoholism?

If you have an alcohol or drug abuse problem, or have had one in the past, your doctor may decide that Percodan, a prescription pain reliever that combines oxycodone and aspirin, is not appropriate for you.

Alcohol may interact with Percodan, which can be dangerous in a few ways: It can intensify oxycodone's sedative effect, possibly causing breathing problems, and it may increase the bleeding risks associated with aspirin. People who use Percodan should avoid alcohol, which may be difficult for problem drinkers or people with a history of alcoholism.

Some people taking Percodan start abusing the drug. If you have a history of alcoholism or drug abuse, your risk for this is increased.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...