Can I use Percodan if I have a history of alcoholism?

If you have an alcohol or drug abuse problem, or have had one in the past, your doctor may decide that Percodan, a prescription pain reliever that combines oxycodone and aspirin, is not appropriate for you.

Alcohol may interact with Percodan, which can be dangerous in a few ways: It can intensify oxycodone's sedative effect, possibly causing breathing problems, and it may increase the bleeding risks associated with aspirin. People who use Percodan should avoid alcohol, which may be difficult for problem drinkers or people with a history of alcoholism.

Some people taking Percodan start abusing the drug. If you have a history of alcoholism or drug abuse, your risk for this is increased.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the side effects of analgesics?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...
Who should not take analgesics?
You should not take analgesics or antipyretics if you are allergic to any element of these types of ...
Should I let my doctor know I am taking analgesics?
If you are planning on taking analgesics, you should talk to your doctor. In fact, you should always...
How can analgesics relieve flu symptoms?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...