Can I drink grapefruit juice if I am taking Tylox?

If you're taking Tylox (acetaminophen and oxycodone), you should not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit. Tylox, which is prescribed to treat moderate to moderately severe pain on an as-needed basis, contains oxycodone, an opioid (narcotic) pain reliever. Grapefruit juice inhibits an enzyme needed to break down oxycodone. This could increase the levels of oxycodone in your blood and raise the risk for breathing problems that could be fatal.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...
How effective is capsaicin?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...