Can I develop a tolerance for meperidine?

Meperidine (brand name Demerol)  is a narcotic pain-killing drug that is similar to morphine. If you must take meperidine for longer than a few weeks, you may become tolerant of it. To get the same pain relief, you may need a larger dose of the drug. Tolerance is not the same as drug addiction or abuse, but be aware that meperidine can be habit-forming.

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
How should I take analgesics?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of analgesics, there are also many differ...
What type of narcotics or opioid analgesics will I be given after surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Most commonly in my practice is the use of a combination of acetaminophen and codeine. Vicodin is us...
What is a narcotic?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain relievers may be prescribed. These drugs are used som...