Are salicylates safe for kids?

By now, you know not to give kids sixteen or younger aspirin because of its connection in kids to Reye’s syndrome, which can cause brain and liver damage. But did you know that there are aspirin-like ingredients (called salicylates) in other medications? One example is Kaopectate (bismuth subsalicylate), which should not be taken by children. Adult-strength Pepto-Bismol, used to settle an upset stomach, also contains bismuth subsalicylate, which isn’t good for kids; however, Pepto-Bismol children’s chewable tablets contain calcium carbonate, which is okay for kids to take. (Double-check that you’re using Children’s Pepto chewables, though, because there are adult chewables, too.) So again, make sure to read labels and/or check with your pediatrician or pharmacist if you’re not 100 percent sure a medication is safe for your child.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Analgesic

What are the risks of using opioid analgesics to treat pain?
Opioid analgesics, such as morphine and codeine, are the primary treatment for acute pain. A person ...
What are analgesics?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Analgesics are medicines that help to control pain and reduce fever; some types also decrease inflam...
How do analgesics interact with other medications?
If you are taking certain medications, you should talk to your doctor before taking an analgesic. Th...
Can I take painkillers if I have asthma?
Embeda If you have severe asthma or are experiencing an acute attack of asthma, you should not use E...