Are salicylates safe for kids?

By now, you know not to give kids sixteen or younger aspirin because of its connection in kids to Reye’s syndrome, which can cause brain and liver damage. But did you know that there are aspirin-like ingredients (called salicylates) in other medications? One example is Kaopectate (bismuth subsalicylate), which should not be taken by children. Adult-strength Pepto-Bismol, used to settle an upset stomach, also contains bismuth subsalicylate, which isn’t good for kids; however, Pepto-Bismol children’s chewable tablets contain calcium carbonate, which is okay for kids to take. (Double-check that you’re using Children’s Pepto chewables, though, because there are adult chewables, too.) So again, make sure to read labels and/or check with your pediatrician or pharmacist if you’re not 100 percent sure a medication is safe for your child.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Analgesic

how can analgesics relieve flu symptoms ?
An analgesic is a type of medication used to relieve pain, including pain related to the cold or fl...
how do analgesics relieve foot pain ?
An analgesic is used to relieve pain, including pain related to your feet. Acetaminophen is the ...
how effective is capsaicin ?
There is no solid evidence that the over-the-counter capsaicin creams are effective for chronic neur...
what are the side effects of analgesics ?
Analgesics can cause a variety of side effects. These side effects include allergic symptoms like h...