What are the stages of anal cancer?

The following are the stages of anal cancer:

Stage 0 (Carcinoma in Situ)
In stage 0, abnormal cells are found in the innermost lining of the anus. These abnormal cells may become cancer and spread into nearby normal tissue. Stage 0 is also called carcinoma in situ.

Stage I
In stage I, cancer has formed and the tumor is 2 centimeters or smaller.

Stage II
In stage II, the tumor is larger than 2 centimeters.

Stage IIIA
In stage IIIA, the tumor may be any size and has spread to either:

Lymph nodes near the rectum; or Nearby organs, such as the vagina, urethra, and bladder.

Stage IIIB
In stage IIIB, the tumor may be any size and has spread:

To nearby organs and to lymph nodes near the rectum; or To lymph nodes on one side of the pelvis and/or groin, and may have spread to nearby organs; or To lymph nodes near the rectum and in the groin, and/or to lymph nodes on both sides of the pelvis and/or groin, and may have spread to nearby organs.

Stage IV
In stage IV, the tumor may be any size and cancer may have spread to lymph nodes or nearby organs and has spread to distant parts of the body.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Anal Cancer

What increases my risk for developing a carcinoid tumor?
A primary risk factor for developing a carcinoid tumor is having a family member with a history of d...
What are the risk factors for anorectal cancer?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Individuals infected with human papillomavirus (HPV) and anal or genital warts are at an increased r...
What are the tests for anal cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The following tests and procedures may be used to test for anal cancer: Physical exam and history: A...
What are the ways that anal cancer can spread in the body?
Cancer is said to be metastatic when it moves from its place of origin to other parts of the body. C...