How is anorectal cancer diagnosed?

Your physician will perform a physical examination and take a full medical history. He or she will do a digital rectal examination to check for lumps or anything unusual by inserting a lubricated, gloved finger into the lower part of the rectum. Your physician may also use an anoscope or proctoscope – both are short, lighted tubes – to examine the anus and lower rectum, and perform an endoanal or endorectal ultrasound. This test uses sound waves emitted by a probe, or transducer, which is inserted into the rectum and bounces sound waves off tissues to produce an image on a screen. A colonoscopy may be performed to evaluate the rest of the colon. Finally, your doctor may take a biopsy to check for cancer if an area appears abnormal.

Continue Learning about Anal Cancer

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.