What should I know about anabolic steroids before taking them?

Before taking anabolic steroids, you should know that it is very important that you only use this medication as directed by your doctor.

There is a risk you will experience side effects, some of which may be serious.

Misuse, including taking more than the recommended dose, increases your risk for side effects.

There also is a risk that anabolic steroids can cause heart disease and liver disease, including cancer.

They can cause growth problems in children by affecting bone growth and can also affect a child's sexual development.

In addition, anabolic steroids can affect a man's fertility.

In older men, there is an increased risk of developing prostate problems, including cancer, while taking anabolic steroids.

Keep in mind that while taking anabolic steroids, you will need to eat a high-protein, high-calorie diet, which may impact your health as well.

Continue Learning about Anabolic Steroid

How do anabolic steroids differ from corticosteroids?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The steroids that athletes (and athlete wannabes) use and abuse to get stronger are anabolic ste...
Who should not take anabolic steroids?
Because there is a risk of liver damage when taking anabolic steroids, people with liver disease...
What should I know about the steroids used in asthma medication?
Dr. Deborah L. Neiman, MDDr. Deborah L. Neiman, MD
Azmacort is a medication called an inhaled corticosteroid—what it does is reduce the inflammation fr...
How will taking steroids for my asthma affect my sinusitis?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Sinusitis is a condition where the paradox of allergic inflammation applies, specifically that g...