What is oxandrolone?

Oxandrolone is the generic name for the brand-name drug Oxandrin, which is an anabolic steroid used to help someone put on weight after an extended illness, infection, or surgery. It works like the male hormone testosterone to build up the muscles in the body. Oxandrolone is used over a limited period of time to help with weight gain. The dosing may vary, but it should be taken at the same day every day, as prescribed by your doctor. It may be prescribed for a little as two weeks, but if weight loss continues to be a problem, the treatment time could be extended. It may also be used in treatments for bone pain associated with osteoporosis or added to treatment when people are using corticosteroids, so that muscle loss is limited. Oxandrolone may be used by adults and children and is only available by prescription.

Continue Learning about Anabolic Steroid

What should I know about anabolic steroids before taking them?
Before taking anabolic steroids, you should know that it is very important that you only use thi...
Who should not take anabolic steroids?
Because there is a risk of liver damage when taking anabolic steroids, people with liver disease...
What should I know about the steroids used in asthma medication?
Dr. Deborah L. Neiman, MDDr. Deborah L. Neiman, MD
Azmacort is a medication called an inhaled corticosteroid—what it does is reduce the inflammation fr...
How will taking steroids for my asthma affect my sinusitis?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Sinusitis is a condition where the paradox of allergic inflammation applies, specifically that g...