Are anabolic steroids approved by the FDA?

The Food and Drug Administration approved anabolic steroids for these purposes:
  • to treat certain types of anemias
  • to treat certain types of breast cancers
  • to treat hereditary angioedema, a genetic disease that causes swelling of the face, arms, legs, abdomen, genitals and throat
  • to gain weight after severe illness, injury or infection
  • to rebuild tissue after injury
Using steroids to improve athletic performance is unsafe, illegal and not approved by the FDA.

Continue Learning about Anabolic Steroid

What should I know about anabolic steroids before taking them?
Before taking anabolic steroids, you should know that it is very important that you only use thi...
What are the side effects of anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids can cause a variety of side effects, some of which may be serious. Seek emerg...
How do anabolic steroids differ from corticosteroids?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The steroids that athletes (and athlete wannabes) use and abuse to get stronger are anabolic ste...
How will taking steroids for my asthma affect my sinusitis?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Sinusitis is a condition where the paradox of allergic inflammation applies, specifically that g...