Why should I join an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) support group?

You should join an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) support group for support, advice and discussion. It can be informative and comforting to speak with people who have the same condition as you.

You should join an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) support group because sometimes people with ALS and their caregivers will feel alone. It’s important for you to realize that what you're feeling is normal. You're not in this alone. There are others out there who have gone through the exact same thing, so talking to peer mentors and other caregivers who have gone through the same thing can really help with the overall quality of life of a person with ALS and that of their caregiver. Hearing from someone else who has lived through the disease provides a different kind of understanding. It’s more meaningful to hear from somebody who says they've walked this mile in your shoes and they understand.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
How do I care for someone with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?
If you know someone with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), they will almost certainly benefit fro...
What are the symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Early symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) involve weaknesses of peripheral motor control...
What should I discuss with my doctor if I have been diagnosed with ALS?
If you have been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) you should discuss with your doc...