Why is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) called Lou Gehrig's disease?

In 1865, Jean-Martin Charcot, who is considered to be the father of neurology, described a person with muscle spasms that ultimately led to the naming of the disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The public’s attention was drawn to this disorder in 1939. During the 1938 baseball season, Lou Gehrig went into a hitting slump that worsened as the season progressed. In June of 1939, because of then apparent muscle weakness, he and his wife went to the Mayo Clinic for evaluation. On June 14, 1939, on his 36th birthday, he was told that he was suffering from ALS. Yankee fans made July 4th of that year "Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day." He died on June 2, 1941.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
What is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig's disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), sometimes called Lou Gehrig's  disease, is a rapidly progressiv...
Why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if I have ALS?
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment be...
Is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis serious?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. It is very serious as it ...