What is the link between fasciculation and Lou Gherig's disease (ALS)?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

When someone has Lou Gehrig's disease, also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), their nerve cells die and cannot send messages to their muscles. This is because of a defect in parts of the brain and spinal cord that regulate muscle movement. Eventually, muscles will begin to experience more severe fasciculation. Muscle twitching and spasms are among the first signs of the effects of ALS on the body.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

What does the word amyotrophic mean?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The word amyotrophic, when broken down, means muscle nourishment-with "myo" meaning muscle and "trop...
Why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if I have ALS?
Dr. Melanie G. Taylor, MDDr. Melanie G. Taylor, MD
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment be...
Why is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) called Lou Gehrig's disease?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
In 1865, Jean-Martin Charcot, who is considered to be the father of neurology, described a person wi...
What are the symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
Early symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) involve weaknesses of peripheral motor control...