What is the prognosis for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)?

Generally, once a person is diagnosed with ALS, the average survival time is three to five years. In about 10 percent of ALS cases, the survival time is 10 years or more. And, as treatments improve, the lifespan for ALS patients is increasing overall.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
What does the word amyotrophic mean?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The word amyotrophic, when broken down, means muscle nourishment-with "myo" meaning muscle and "trop...
What should I discuss with my doctor if I have been diagnosed with ALS?
If you have been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) you should discuss with your doc...
How is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) diagnosed?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Differential diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) sometimes requires a variety of tests ...