What devices can help people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis to eat?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) causes a variety of difficulties eating. Some, like severe problems swallowing, are difficult to treat, and ALS patients may eventually need a feeding tube inserted into their stomach. However, there are devices that can make eating easier in the short term. Oversized knives, forks, and spoons make it easier to manipulate food. A long straw and a metal clip attaching it to the glass substantially decrease the effort necessary for drinking. Jar openers and screw caps are generally useful around the kitchen to help open jars and bottles.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
Why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if I have ALS?
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment be...
What causes amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The exact cause of ALS is not yet known, but researchers are constantly learning more about the dise...
What is the prognosis for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Generally, once a person is diagnosed with ALS, the average survival time is three to five years. I...