Should people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis exercise?

Exercise is important for people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), particularly in early stages of the illness. Exercise is beneficial to mind and body at a difficult point in life. Gentler exercises, like stretching and walking, are highly recommended. People with ALS should talk to their doctor before beginning a new exercise regimen.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
What causes amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
Over the years, a host of factors have been thought to increase the risk of acquiring amyotrophic la...
What increases my risk for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
There are about 7,000 new cases of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), or Lou Gehrig's disease, dia...
What is the prognosis for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Generally, once a person is diagnosed with ALS, the average survival time is three to five years. I...