Is there a genetic test for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?

Only a fraction of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) cases have been identified as hereditary. Only some of these cases, in turn, have been associated with mutations in a specific gene. Genetic testing can evaluate the status of this gene, called SOD1. Changes in this gene may be responsible for killing motor neurons and causing ALS. Prenatal testing of the SOD1 gene is possible; however, a negative result does not guarantee that a person will not get ALS. The test takes two or three months and costs several hundred dollars.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
What is the prognosis for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Generally, once a person is diagnosed with ALS, the average survival time is three to five years. I...
How is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) diagnosed?
Differential diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) sometimes requires a variety of tests ...
What increases my risk for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) occurs most often in men between ages 40 and 70, with an average...