Is there a genetic test for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?

Only a fraction of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) cases have been identified as hereditary. Only some of these cases, in turn, have been associated with mutations in a specific gene. Genetic testing can evaluate the status of this gene, called SOD1. Changes in this gene may be responsible for killing motor neurons and causing ALS. Prenatal testing of the SOD1 gene is possible; however, a negative result does not guarantee that a person will not get ALS. The test takes two or three months and costs several hundred dollars.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
Why should I join an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) support group?
You should join an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) support group for support, advice and discuss...
What are the symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Early symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) involve weaknesses of peripheral motor control...
Why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if I have ALS?
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment be...