Is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis serious?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive and ultimately fatal disease. As motor neurons die, the body of a person with ALS is able to do less and less until they can no longer perform their basic bodily functions. The most common cause of death associated with ALS is respiratory failure due to weakness in the muscles necessary for breathing. ALS usually proves fatal within five years of diagnosis.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. It is very serious as it is typically fatal within 3-5 years. There is no known cure for this devastating disease.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
How is amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) diagnosed?
Differential diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) sometimes requires a variety of tests ...
Are there promising breakthroughs regarding ALS?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Researchers are hard at work, searching for new ways to prevent and combat ALS.Here are some areas t...
What should I discuss with my doctor if I have been diagnosed with ALS?
If you have been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) you should discuss with your doc...