How does amyotrophic lateral sclerosis cause breathing problems?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) weakens the muscles necessary for breathing: the diaphragm and the intercostals. These muscles expand and contract beneath and beside the lungs, respectively. As ALS progresses, breathing becomes more difficult and less automatic. The extra energy necessary for breathing is a major source of fatigue. Ultimately, respiratory failure is the primary cause of death associated with ALS.

Continue Learning about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)

Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
Know Your Risk: ALS in Hawaii
A few years ago, you may have been captivated by viral videos, Facebook callouts and images of local celebrities, like Jake Shimabukuro or Lee Ann Won...
Why should I join an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) support group?
You should join an amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) support group for support, advice and discuss...
Why does my doctor need to assess my home environment if I have ALS?
If you have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) your doctor needs to assess your home environment be...
What causes amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The exact cause of ALS is not yet known, but researchers are constantly learning more about the dise...